I-131 Thyroid Uptake

>According to ICRP-30, the uptake of the thyroid from the blood is 30
percent.  That is true in the regulatory world but biology is more complex.

Perhaps I misread this statement, but the ICRP is not a regulatory body.
ICRP recommendations are not regulations unless adopted by a regulatory
body.  The sections for each element in ICRP-30 explain the limitations of
each model and where the data for each model was obtained.  To come up with
calculated limits, you have to define a model to use.  I think the ICRP did
a pretty fair job -- especially considering they didn't have any PC's to use
back in the 70s.

BTW, an updated iodine model is in ICRP-67, which I unfortunately left at
home today.

C. A. Gus Potter
Sandia National Laboratories
Albuquerque, New Mexico