RE: Give Me You Opinion

Scott,
Obviously processing and handling of UF6 requires specialized equipment and
trained personnel.  We for instance, use Iconel (high Nickel, high Chrome,
steel alloy) to line reaction vessels and pipes at our UF6-UF4 reduction
facility in SC.
Depending on the situation potential non-rad hazards dominate.  In our case
we have a commercial operation where we "deconvert" large quantities of UF6
to UF4.  A major concern is the potential for the system to leak hydrogen
fluoride (HF -acid)  and resultant exposure to personnel. HF is formed as a
byproduct of reducing UF6 to UF4.  Furthermore HF is also produced as a
decomposition byproduct of UF6 hydrolyzing in the presence of water vapor
(in air for instance) to UO2-F2 and HF) Hence our safety and training
programs address these potential scenarios.

However more to the point of the thread, Some work along these lines was
done about a decade ago regarding release of UF6 directly from a  rupture
due to heating an overfilled 14 ton cylinder.  Look to NUREG 1198 (lessons
learned report) and NUREG/CR-5566, PNL 7328 (health effects) to find all you
might want to know about UF6, and associated hazards from uranium-fluorine
compounds.

Frank J. Vumbaco
VP Health & Safety
Corporate Radiation Safety Officer