RE: Pu Toxicity vs DDT

Thanks to both you and Jay for checking the numbers for me.  Please
allow me to add one more thought to this.

We in DP have been looking at doses that can lead to acute fatality for
application in radiological sabotage analyses.  From that study, based
upon ICRP-60 and others, we estimate that an acute dose of 500 rads to
the GI tract has around a 50% lethality.  With alpha emitters, an RBE of
7 is applied, resulting in a 50% lethal dose of 71 rads.  Assuming the
majority of the dose to the GI tract is delivered in 24 hours or so,
(whatever the normal clearance rate is - I don't have it before me know)
it is obvious to me that we are in the range of interest.

I too would prefer to figuratively rather than literally pass on this
stuff :-)

Doug Minnema, CHP
DOE/DP
<Douglas.Minnema@ns.doe.gov>

what few thoughts i have are truly my own.