Re[2]: Pu Toxicity vs DDT

     Awe, come on.  Have faith in hormesis.

     jim.dunlap@guardian.brooks.af.mil

Subject: RE: Pu Toxicity vs DDT
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at guardian
Date:    1/28/99 1:44 PM

Doug's message prompted me to do a few calculations.  0.5g pure Pu-239 equals 31
mCi.  Following an ingestion of 0.5g the doses are estimated by the CINDY
computer code as follows:

First Year 50 Years
Effective Dose Equivalent    540 rem 1600 rem

Organ Dose Equivalent (rem)
Red Marrow       44
1600
Bone Surface       570
21000
LL Intestine        6000
6000
UL Intestine        2000
2000
Small Intestine       340
340

As was stated previously, the physical form of the material could greatly affect
the actual dose, and these are only estimates.  I am personally aware of
plutonium workers with easily detectable depositions who have experience no
health affects, but I don't think I will volunteer to eat any of the stuff.

 Jay A. MacLellan, CHP
 Manager, Radiation Records
 Radiation and Health Technology
 Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
 Phone:  509-376-7247
 Fax:      509-376-2906
Email:   jay.a.maclellan@pnl.gov <mailto:jay.a.maclellan@pnl.gov>
The thoughts above are mine alone and do not necessarily represent those of the
Federal Government, DOE, nor anyone else.