re: Batteries

A U.S. patent for a "Charged-Particle Powered Battery" was issued on Jan. 19,
1999 to Southwest Research Instutute. I was a coinventor on this patent; and
it uses several unique methods of direct-energy conversion of positive and
negitive charged particles into an electric current, using a variety of
approaches. You may want to find more information under patent no. 5,861,701;
I assume on the gov. web site.

Call me at 210-522-2633 or e-mail me at jph@swri.edu if you have any
questions.

Have a great week, John P. Hageman, RSO.

Joel Wrote-------------------------------------------------------	I I
received a call today from a researcher who was interested in the
practicality of utilizing radioactive material (initially he was interested
in Po-210) for generating electricity - i.e. a battery.  After some lively
discussion and quick and dirty calculations, we decided that 0.5 Ci (for a
watch-type battery - converting the alphas directly into electricity) was a
little too much for "casual discards" into the Von's parking lot (I'm being
facetious here).
	I am "quite" familiar with RTG's, but other types of nuclear
batteries are "Greek" to me.  To get the most "bang for the buck", I
suggested maybe developing a battery which would utilize alphas AND betas -
the alphas would give up their positive charge on the inner surface and the
betas impart a negative charge within the inner matrix.  Even this is not
something which (in my humble opinion) would have practical applications in
everyday society.
	Any thoughts here from the peanut gallery???
	Thanks,
	Joel Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)
	SSC-SD