Re: Batteries

McDonald-Douglas had a research laboratory in Richland in the 60s-70s that was
looking into development of radionuclide powered batteries (I believe Pm-147 &
Po among other isotopes).  They later got into Sterling engines.  I did
neutron radiographs on some of the units and they were quite small (<1cm dia &
height).  It is apparant that the nuclear batteries were not commercially
viable or they would not have been abandoned.    Although I have lost track of
the principal investigators, if there is definite interest in more information
I would be glad to start some inquiries--if this thread doesn't turn up some
info.

Ken Swinth
Consultant
Richland, WA 99352