Re: www fallout (radiation, AIDS etc)

Having taken a quick look through some of the web sites Bjorn
listed (I had neither the time nor the stomach for an extended
perusal), something jumped out at me;  "in December 1989,
the government sponsored National Academy of Sciences stated
in a report titled Biological Effects of Radiation that there was no
safe level of radiation."

Until/unless hormesis is conclusively demonstrated in human
beings, this statment will remain strictly accurate.  However, as
a statement intended for public consumption, it is somewhat
misleading.  When making general statments such as this, we
have to be conservative to avoid the perception that we are sugar
coating the truth.  However, it is possible to go too far.  A better
phrasing might be something like "Just as there is no safe
distance to walk down the street, there is no absolutely safe
level of radiation exposure.  However, unavoidable risks in eveyday
life tremendously outweigh the risks of continuous exposure below
approximately 1 rem per year" (I picked one rem as a rough
estimate of the higher range background exposure levels found in
various areas of the US or the world.  The exact number would
require more deliberation than I've given it right now, but would be
a lot closer to 1 than 0.1).

The point?  Let's be careful not to make it too easy for extremists
to use our own words against us.