Re: Nasal Radium Irradiation

Dear Franz,

        Not only in this case, but  the early history of use of radium in
medicine for general cases of treatment, specially therapy in place of X-Ray
is very exciting. The great advantage of radium in comparison with treatment
by X-Rays, which was the alternative method of treatment, was that radium
sources could be placed directly onto or inside a tumour, whereas X-rays
could only be applied from outside the body and not in direct contact with
the tumour. From the begining little consideration was given to the safety
in the use of radium, and there are numerous examples of accidents and
overexposure, including some large sources were broken and many exploded.
At that time, 1920 - 1940, the high price of radium sources made it the most
valuable item of equipment in many hospitals. In that period  many donations
were made and special funds were raised to acquire radium for medical uses.

The early history of production and use of radium, was not only in medicine,
but also radio was  used in  consumer products, specially clocks and watches.
During the 1920s radium emanators were designed for producing "radon water"
and were sold to the general public. One of these could contain up to 0.5 mg
of radium. The use of the "radon water" was advertised as being healthy.
Also cloth impregnated with radium were sold  to the public. Look one
advertisment:
"Radium rays have provem highly valuable in the treatment of the following
conditions: anaemia, arteriosclerosis, arthritis, catarrhal conditions,
diabetes, dental conditions, general debility, high blood pressure,
menopause and menstrual disorders, nephritiid, neurasthenia. nervous
conditions, obesity, prostatitis, rheumatism, senility, sexual conditions
and skin disorders.

         Out of USA, in my birthcountry Brazil, was not different, as well
as in many countries, specially in the developed ones. I had opportunity to
close  some clinics  using old radium equipment in therapy and
ophthalmologic treatment. Also ophthalmologic devices containing sources of
radium  had extensive use in medicine.

Radsafers interested in the Radium history, can found the begining looking
at the following references:

Williams, A. R., Kirchmann, R.  J. Radium A Historical Introduction, The
environmental Beahviour of Radium, Vol, I, Tech. Rep. Ser. 310, IAEA,
Vienna, 1990

Willforth, J. C., Robinson, E. W., Wold, G.J., A review of Radium Incidents
in the United States of America, Proceedings of a Symposium on Handling of
Raadiation Accidents, Vienna, 19/23 May 1969

       Regards, Next week I'll see you at IAEA

J.J.Rozental
<josrozen@netmedia.net.il>