Survey Instrument calibration frequency

Howdy.

Reading through Draft NUREG 1556 vol.11 I came across this statement under
section 8.10.2, RADIATION MONITORING INSTRUMENTS:

"Some instruments may only need to be checked periodically for operability
and response to radiation rather than receive full calibration.  For
example, Geiger-Mueller (G-M) type survey instruments used to identify
contamination in laboratories may only need to be checked for ability to
detect low level contamination."

If this is true, it would have a HUGE impact on our calibration program. Is
anybody else doing this? Does anybody know where the NRC got this guidance?
Was it from ANSI N323A-1997? I don't have it yet, but am planning to obtain
one as soon as possible. We have been following the old ANSI N323-1978, and
don't remember any statements like the one above.

We are in the process of renewing our license. Because NUREG 1556-11 is
still in draft form, the NRC says I can't use it yet. However, if I can find
another suitable reference for this statement, I could use it.

Thanks.

Jim Herrold, Radiation Safety Officer
herrold@uwyo.edu

University of Wyoming