Depleted Uranium Ordnance

Good Afternoon,

I was talking to a USMC officer who had served in the Gulf War, and when I
told him that I was a health physicist, he brought up the issue of DU
munitions.

One point that he mentioned that I hadn't really considered is that these
munitions are quite pyrotechnic (if that's the right word), and they
basically incinerate just about anything they hit.  So the DU has gone
through a catastrophic impact, followed immediately by a high temperature
burn, has basically vaporized, then has plated, deposited over an area near
the target.

It leads me to suspect that they definitely create a significant
contamination event, and I suspect the chemical form of the DU might be
much different than that found in a uranium mine.  So I'm not sure that
comparison of Gulf War Vets to Uranium Miners is really an apples to apples
situation.

Also, am I correct in believing that the chemotoxicity of Uranium is
similar to other heavy metals, i.e. there is a potential effect on the n
ervous system similar to that encountered in lead ingestion?

Jim Barnes, CHP
Radiation Safety Officer
Rocketdyne / Boeing