RE: Depleted Uranium Ordnance

For those of you who were not at the HPS mid-year meeting last week,
there was a presentation by the Army on assessing doses for the
"friendly fire" victims,  responders, and recovery personnel (the
highest potential exposure groups).  It is published in the proceedings.

Their estimate is less than 5 mSv (0.5 rem) CEDE, based upon 15 minute
exposures, and inhalation of 22 mg insoluble DU oxide and 4 mg soluble
DU oxide, and secondary ingestion of 13.3 mg insoluble DU oxide and 2.7
mg soluble DU oxide.

Apparently, this is preliminary, as the summary says "further refinement
of USACHPPM's exposure assessment and risk characterization ... will
continue and be incorporated into the final report".

My question is that these ingestion numbers sound significant when
compared to OSHA PELs, but I am not an IH and am not sure how to use
them.  However, this was  not discussed in the report.  Anybody have a
feel for that?

Doug Minnema, CHP
Defense Programs, DOE
<Douglas.Minnema@ns.doe.gov>

what few thoughts i have are truly my own.