RE: Depleted Uranium Ordnance

I would say that the more likely cause of exposure to Chem/Bio weapons was
actually the demolition of Iraqi weapons depots (Kamskaya?) by allied
troops.  They were unaware of the presence of these "special" weapons.  You
can look up extensive information on this on the web.

As for the introduction of Uranium into the search for the cause; I would
look no farther than the troops themselves.  Troops are not HP's or IH's
and know little more about their DU rounds than that they are radioactive
and are good for killing the enemy.  (I myself used chemicals in the
military in manners that in retrospect were not smart.)  I knew they were
bad for me but had little training to assess the level of bad.  I also
believe that the reason that it has not been looked at before for combat
troops is the nature of the war itself.  Desert Storm (during the ground
assault phase) was largely a mechanized infantry (read tanks and stuff) war
whereas Viet Nam was more of a person killing person war.  There is not
much need for armour piercing ammo in the latter.

I personally think that the Chem/Bio scenario is much more realistic since
the military has had DU rounds for quite awhile and therefore has probably
been practicing with them.  This would lead me to believe they there should
have been some effect seen before the war if the DU was the cause.  But
hey, I'm no epidemiologist...

Anyway, my 2 cents.

| | | |__  Safety Support Officer, Physics & Space Technolgy
| | \___/  Lawrence Livermore National Labs
| \___/    merritt9@llnl.gov
\___/      Voice: (925)423-9668   Fax: (925)422-7160
	   "When the only tool you have is a hammer,
	   every problem begins to resemble a nail."
	   -Abraham Maslow