RE: Uranium blamed for Gulf War Syndrome (BBC)

Hi, Mike,

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here?  The original thread was my
musings on whether or not any uranium miner worker groups ever displayed
any illnesses or symptoms similar to the GWS.  The question regarded the
exposure to the element uranium.  Exploded DU rounds oxidize to uranium
oxide or dioxide in particulate form.  U miners mine uranium ore (such as
uraninite (UP2) and pitchblende (pitchblende can contain up to 55-75% UO2).
 These two types of ore are found in uranium mines in Colorado and Utah.
The operation of mining U does produce uranium dust, sometimes a lot of it.
 The comparison I was trying to make is that if U miners who are/were
chronically exposed don't exhibit GWS then GW vets probably they need to
look elsewhere for the cause of their medical problems.

Laurie Taylor
laurie-taylor@uiowa.edu

<radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>