RE: DU in the Gulf War

I don't event think chem exposure is even a reasonable link.

If you look at the areas of potential exposure and duty stations were
symptoms were reported, there is not a reasonable tie.

I believe many of the symptoms complained about don't even match "symptom"
profiles for many of the commonly available chemicals.  There should be
pretty decent data from the more recent conflicts such as the Soviets in
Afghanistan and the Iran and Iraq war.

One of the universities in North Carolina produced a report that said they
produced similar symptoms by combining the use of the bug repellant and use
of a drug that was given to help combat against the full effects of nerve
agent.  The use of the repellant and drug would have likely covered the
population of soldiers in many different areas.  The symptoms were reported
in many different areas...  It's been a long time but I believe the drug was
used to help the body build up reserves of cholinesterase to make for that
which would be affected by nerve gas.  The additional reserves in the body
would hopefully be enough to keep the person alive.  We all know applying
pesticides to the external surfaces of the skin can lead to pesticide in the
body also.  Both of these by themselves or in concert sound like they could
have "nervous" system symptoms.  This actually sounds reasonable...

People tend to hold to the dark and sinister theories rather than sound
science, but that is human nature.

Hastily written,
Glen Vickers
glen.vickers@ucm.com