Re: Inservice Inspection

Good points, Eric. In fact, I've seen a real effort in recent years to
accomplish ISI on auxiliary (perhaps I should say ex-drywell or
ex-containment) systems during operations to reduce the work load on the
outage schedule. I have to watch those blanket statements...However, as you
also noted, it can be a difficult proposition and frequently impossible.
Definitely leads to some interesting cost benefit evaluations.

Another point that you alluded to may not be fully understood or appreciated
by non-power reactor health physics professionals. The regulatory and
political pressure to reduce both individual and collective doses at the
reactors became increasing intense during the '90s. Many factors contributed
to this. Genuine concern over radiological risk (let's face it, the 1,000+
person-rem outages weren't pretty), embarrassment over our (U.S.) dose
performance compared to other countries, the "ALARA rule" becoming a
"shall", etc. With power reactor HP professionals being judged by the bottom
line (collective dose and number of citations) by the regulator, auditors
(INPO, etc.), and non-HP licensee management, the temptation to push for "as
low as possible" (remember ALAP?) as opposed to ALARA doses has been very
real for many of us. And those of us that have been there know that what is
"ALARA" can frequently depend on what hat you are wearing at the time of
decision. I've mentioned this to emphasize that now we frequently are well
beyond the realization of a true risk benefit - at least in my opinion.

Chris Wend
christopher_wend@bedison.com
magnum8@banet.net