Radium sources and X-ray treatments

Thanks to everyone on RadSafe who responded to my post on radium sources
in a doctor's office. I thought I'd let you know the results.  The (one)
source is in a lead-shielded plywood box and stored in a basement area.
The doctor has been in compliance with state regulations and holds a
permit.  However, as a result of the postings I copied to him, he is
actively pursuing disposal of the source.

An interesting sidelight to this story resulted when I asked my parents
if either had been treated with radium sources.  Neither had, but my
mother had been treated with X-rays for acne as an adolescent.  In
hindsight she is glad she refused the entire course of treatment because
she disliked the doctor.  Later in life, this bit of her medical history
caused considerable consternation when she had to have a benign growth
removed from her thyroid.
--
Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director
Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee, Inc.