RE: NAS President's Statement on FOIA Initiative Relating to Release of

I believe this is an excellent letter and deserves lots of letters in
support of its thesis.  Making undefined "data" available is ill-advised in
the extreme.  For example, I do a lot of transportation risk analyses.  I
make mistakes!  I then correct them.  We have found errors in our final
documents.  Often we cannot make revisions right away.  When I do
experimental work, these problems are even more acute -- I have spent lots
of time puzzling over inconsistent or strange results only to figure out
that a detector had malfunctioned.

What if the anti-nuke opponents who breathe down our necks all the time got
hold of bad or inconsistent or inexplicable data?  What a way to choke off
research!

Clearly only my own opinion

Ruth F. Weiner
Sandia National Laboratories