Re[2]: NAS President's Statement on FOIA Initiative Relating to Rele

As written and presented, this letter from the President of the NAS
supports junk science and bad public policy.

By misrepresenting the proposed rule, support for keeping data sets
confidential looks reasonable.  While I agree in principle with Mike's concern
over data that are not yet properly reviewed, federally funded data sets that
are paid for with tax dollars should be publicly available As Soon As
Reasonably Achievable.

It appears to me that the letter writer did not even read the proposed rule change,
which I quote (from a secondary source):

Pursuant to the direction of P.L. 1050277, OMB hereby proposes to amend
section 36(c) of OMB Circular A-110 to read as follows:

(c) The Federal Government has the right to (1) obtain, reproduce, publish
or otherwise use the data first produced under an award, and (2) authorize
others to receive, reproduce, publish or otherwise use such data for Federal
purposes. In addition, in response to a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
request for data relating to published research produced under an award that
were used by the Federal Government in developing policy or rules, the
Federal awarding agency shall, within a reasonable time, obtain the requested
data so that they can be made available to the public through the procedures
established under FOIA. If the Federal awarding agency obtains the data solely
fee equaling the full incremental cost of obtaining the data. This fee should reflect
costs incurred by the agency, the recipient and applicable subrecipients. This fee
is in addition to any fees the agency may assess under the FOIA (5.U.S.C. 552(a)(4)(A)).

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999 12:07:20 -0600 (CST)