Re: NAS President's Statement on FOIA Initiative Relating

Ms. Weiner,

Both positive and negative data is useful in determining whether the end result
is valid.  Also, any governmental funds used to develop data, positions, or make
policy by government agencies (state and Federal) should then ensure that the
final "paper" is available to me, a member of the funding public, without regard
for how I use it.  Of course, there are those items dealing with national
security that are another story.  I would not expected to receive such data
without some hassle.

If you don't want to share information you develop using governmental funds,
then do private research using your own funds.

Most companies also subscribe to a similar type of contractual arrangement with
their employee's that do research, except that the information can be solely
retained by the company.  That is unless public funds are used in the research.

Some of us are interested in the how are moneys are spent in specific areas of
science.

High Plains Drifter
magna1@jps.net