RE: NAS President's Statement on FOIA Initiative Relating

But the regulation doesn't say "end result" or "final paper."  Of course the
end result and/or final paper should be (and even now are and as far as I
know have been) available.  In fact, I like to get lots of readership for
mine.  That's not my point, nor, as I understand it, the point of the
regulation.  What I object to (which it seems to me was clear enough in the
other two postings) was a requirement to make "raw" unanalyzed unreduced
data available under FOIA.

And now, ONE LAST TIME:

Final work should be and is, to the best of my knowledge, available, and you
usually don't need FOIA -- if you want a paper or report of mine, just call
me up and I'll send you a copy.

I object to the notion that any and all raw and unanalyzed data would be
available on request and through FOIA.  Maybe the solution is to define
"data" better in the context of the rule (no not to change the dictionary
definition...).

Clearly only my own opinion.

Ruth F. Weiner
Sandia National Laboratories