Information about UF6 Releases

Although tornadoes do strange things and have erratic effects, the release
scenario proposed below is what I've come to call 'self-editing', i.e., the
effect is overwhelmed by the cause.  In this case the danger associated
with a tornado, and the tremendous dispersion associated with tornado
winds, would make the release of UF6/HF/UO2 one of the least of the
immediate worries.

As far as delayed release effects are concerned, from 'throwing' a cylinder
someplace and having it rupture,  one *very* important thing to remember is
that the UF6 is a solid under normal ambient conditions and isn't going to
'leap' out of its storage/shipping container. Large releases should occur
only when UF6 is heated to liquid, then it is under pressure and a release
reacts with atmospheric moisture and oxygen to form a negatively-buoyant,
but reactive, plume of HF, UOx compounds, and some UF6 in the 'center' of
the plume.

There is a *lot* of information about UF6 releases that were analyzed 15 to
20 years ago under the requirements of DoE Manual Chapter 0524.  People
with the appropriate clearances, especially at Oak Ridge, Paducah, and
Portsmouth, should have access to these reports.  Some of the original
dispersion calculations were done by the Risk Assessment group at Battellle
Columbus and should contain plenty of valuable information.  Furthermore,
someone should have a [DoE] report about a liquid release from a cylinder
at Portsmouth sometime in the late '70s.

On a related matter, when the risk assessments were being done,
toxicological data were gathered for inhalation of various forms and
enrichments of uranium.  Roughly, the guidelines were that below 9% to 10%
U235 enrichment the long-term effects were due to heavy metal poisoning;
above that concentration the committed dose became the limiting factor.

As a final note, some of the recent conversations about fluorine and
gaseous diffusion would have been classified 25 years ago [and I don't seem
any older, it's just that most of my friends are in their 50s and 60s].

If I can be of further vague assistance, email privately.

Regards,

Tom McClelland
Obviously, these thoughts are my own peculiar mix and are not held or
approved by anyone I know or work for.