laser pointers

There recently was a discussion of the ubiquity and safety of laser
pointers here on radsafe.  I thought I'd report that a bill has just
passed committee in Arkansas to ban the sale of laser pointers to
minors.  In the article, it refers to the beam as "light that
scientists say is potentionally more dangerous to vision than staring
directly at the sun."  I saw no discussion of different classes or
powers of lasers, or of the blink reflex.  I wouldn't be surprised if
their was a lack of scientific expertise in their deliberations. I
think the ban is a good idea anyway;  my wife was a bit rattled when
she turned away from the blackboard in the college class she was
teaching and found that she was being laser-pointed.  I'd be
interested in knowing if any universities out there have policy about
students bringing laser pointers to class.

HANDBELL PEOPLE have all gone campan-

David F. Gilmore
Assistant Professor of Environmental Biology
P.O. Box 599, Dept. of Biological Sciences
Arkansas State University
State University, AR 72467
dgilmore@navajo.astate.edu
dgilmo@fastdata.net