Re: Is Health Physics Really A Profession?

     Bill,

     You make some excellent points, and I must confess that I agree with
     you completely. However, there are those that don't, and that believe
     that anyone with the right survey meter and/or very little instruction
     can do "HP work." In the example of medicine you give, I'm afraid that
     the only thing that prevents non-MD's from practicing medicine is the
     law. It's illegal in all 50 states to practice medicine without a
     license, so there's no call for "idiot-proof scalpels" or other absurd
     things. Unfortunately, there's no such laws preventing anyone from
     practicing health physics. Should there be? I don't know, but that's a
     subject for another day.

     It certainly doesn't help our cause that many of the regulators we
     deal with are far less knowledgable in health physics than those they
     regulate. Doctors regulate doctors, lawyers regulate lawyers, etc.
     It's my experience that not all regulators in the health physics arena
     are health physicists.

     To those regulators out in RADSAFE-land, I didn't say "all", just
     "many." Please direct all flames to my private email address below.
     :-)

     Steven D. Rima, CHP, CSP
     Manager, Health Physics and Industrial Hygiene
     MACTEC-ERS, LLC
     srima@doegjpo.com