Idiot-proof survey meters

Dear Clayton, RadSafers

I'd be very interested in your results. Here at UCSC I've been assembling
the same thing.

I chose the 450B (not the pressurized model). The California Highway patrol
also uses this model marketed under 450CHP.

I like it for a number of reasons:
1. We can set the alarm point to any value. On campus ours are set to 2
mR/hr the alarm sounds. Fire/ERT personnel are trained that if the unit
alarms to evacuate the area.
2. Their very rugged and only have 1 button (we electronically disabled the
second button and covered it with tape that reads "Push on button  - Do not
turn off"). They've passed our "RSO drops the meter" test a number of times.
3. The unit data logs - so when HP staff arrive and if needed they can down
load all the exposure measurement the device made since it was turned on.
We haven't had to use this feature but I could imagine situations where it
would be useful.

I like the idea of an audible alarm. You may want to you can contact
Tom Krivan @ 1-800-850-4608 x254. He has made some custom components for
our 450's, maybe he can have a voice alarm installed?

Ken