Re: Idiot-proof survey meters

Why would you set it this low?  How could 2 mR/hr possibly be a hazard to a
responding fire fighter.  If I were a person in need of rescue and my
rescue was called off because of a trivial dose rate issue I would be more
than a little bit upset, if I managed to drag myself to safety.
Radiological hazards are rarely as severe as the hazards normally faced by
rescuers (fire, collapsing structures, blood-borne pathogens, etc.).

We had an intersting discussion here last week over the amount of dose that
we would be willing to get to save a life.  Our guidline here is up to 100
Rem with the appropriate concurence of the rescuer, HP and Incident
Commander.  A few people seemed agast that anyone would be willing to do
that.  Personally I would do it without any regard to who the person was
(which was a deciding factor for some).  My only concerns would be if there
were any other imminent hazards to myself that would preclude my making it
out alive, and what is the probalility that the person needing rescue is
still alive.

Sorry to jump on a soap box on this..., I guess I have strayed from the
original subject.

>1. We can set the alarm point to any value. On campus ours are set to 2
>mR/hr the alarm sounds. Fire/ERT personnel are trained that if the unit
>alarms to evacuate the area.

| | | |__  Safety Support Officer, Physics & Space Technolgy
| | \___/  Lawrence Livermore National Labs
| \___/    merritt9@llnl.gov
\___/      Voice: (925)423-9668   Fax: (925)422-7160
	   "When the only tool you have is a hammer,
	   every problem begins to resemble a nail."
	   -Abraham Maslow