RE: Idiot-proof survey meters

		When asked by others if they might borrow our instruments to
do some surveying on their own, I state to them that my policy is to provide
them with the "Deluxe" version.  This "Deluxe" version comes with a Health
Physics Technician attached to it.

		I instituted my policy after an environmental scientist
requested an Eberline Pac 4G-3 to do a survey.  When I questioned him on
what he was surveying off-site, he told me an abandoned uranium mine site!

		A second story that I will relate with you concerns one of
our old sites: Site A, or the first Argonne Lab (the site of CP-2), in Red
Gate Woods.  Roughly eight years ago, an individual from DOE wanted to visit
Site A and requested for a Geiger counter counter from the manager of the
Health Physics Section at ANL.  I strongly recommended against such a loan
and offered one of my "Deluxe" models.  However, my offer was declined.

		Within an hour or so, the Health Physics office was alerted
by DOE that contamination was everywhere at Site A.  We mobilized a team and
met with the same DOE person.  We promptly determined by viewing the setting
on the instrument and checking those same areas that he had been reading the
battery check!

		Enough said for using "Deluxe" instruments vs. idiot-proof
units.

		George D. Mosho, CHMM
		Health Physicist
		Argonne National Laboratory-East
		630-252-6172
		mosho@anl.gov <mailto:mosho@anl.gov>

		"Endeavor to Persevere!" - taken from the movie "Outlaw
Josie Wales"