RE: HP a Profession?

I disagree in part with Ron's note.  I agree a "qualified HP" does not
mean an HP tech.  However, I disagree that it requires the HP to be
certified.  It means the HP in question has the requisite training,
education and experience to make the necessary determination.  Also note
that the term "qualified expert" has been around in guidance and
regulations at least since the 60's.  I am not aware of any regulatory
body interpreting the term as requiring certification - though
certification certainly aids in being accepted by the regulatory
agencies as a "qualified expert/HP".

Certification means you should be able to rely upon that HP to tell you
whether or not they are qualified to make the determination in question.
Of course, you should be able to rely on any HP to be similarly honest
in their assessment of their abilities.  The only differences are the
CHP has (1) demonstrated professional capabilities through an
independent peer review process; and (2) signed an ethics statement as
part of that certification process.

Wes

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP, Director, Environmental Health & Safety
International Isotopes, Inc.
3100 Jim Christal Road
Denton, Texas  76207
Wdunn@intiso.com <mailto:Wdunn@intiso.com>