HP a profession?

When this thread appears, it always amazes me.  I really don't see how someone can seriously ask a question like "Is health physics a real profession?".  To me, it indicates a too-narrow, unrealistic, almost "elitist" view of what a profession or professional is.  The question infers to me that the asker associates the term "professional" too closely with formal education.  I haven't dragged out Webster's but, "my" definition certainly doesn't depend on that.  One immediately is led to assume that "professional" is reserved for doctors, lawyers (whose behavior usually ranks among the most unprofessional), CPAs, or some other occupation that has an identifiable certification, test, or level of education assocated with it.  Most HPs agree that you don't have to be a CHP to be a professional HP.

As for professional-ISM, of course, that depends entirely on the person.

Also, it was mentioned that education was important to the HP technician.  I would tend to agree, but with a qualifier: The HP tech benefits more from what I would call "training" which seems to me to be "education related to practical matters" - much of which is gleaned from experience, than classical, university-type education.  The sentiment that a "Health Physicist in a rad area" is dangerous, does have a ring of reality to it.  The HP is not necessarily 'trained' to handle the responsibilities and duties of the HP technician's job.  Therefore, he/she isn't neccesarily any more useful in that scenario than a brick layer (a noble profession, in its own right).  Although the HP, if formally educated, could learn to be an HP tech much quicker.  I believe that it is erroneous to assume that an HP (without training) is automatically qualified to perform as an HP tech.

As usual, these comments are worth what you paid for them.

--
Keith Welch
Newport News VA