Re: HP as a career & qualifications

In a message dated 2/16/99 6:20:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rkathren@tricity.WSU.edu writes:

<< Finally, I wonder if you would think differently if you were a P.E.,
 licensed M.D. or attorney, or even a CHP or NRRPT. >>

Well....I'm not any of those yet, but I will be taking the California State
Bar Exam in July, and my honest opinion is, it's just a hoop.  Once I'm
through, it won't make me a better trial attorney, negotiator, counselor or
strategist than someone who hasn't passed...It will simply mean I took the
test better....The real proof will be in the pudding so to speak...

For me, the same thing is true with H.P.'s.  I've met a lot, certified and
uncertified alike, and certification has not, so far, been a special indicator
of skill or knowledge in my experience.  I appreciate that it's a lot of hard
work to become certified - it's been a lot of hard work going to law school -
but I question how much it really says about a person's ability to apply the
knowledge they've gained.  That's something you find in how they approach a
problem in real life, not in the closed universe of a test.

I don't mean to disparage those who are certified in any way, but in the same
way that certification, state boards and bar exams don't necessarily weed out
the bad, they often leave behind the good.

Respectfully,
Barbara Hamrick
BLHamrick@aol.com