Re: HP as a career & qualifications

Since 1967 I have seen terrific progress in the field of occupational
radiation safety in large part as a result of the NRC's and industry's
recognition of the value of having some CHPs and NRRPTs at licensed
facilities.

These independent certification processes provide an important data point to
licensee management, regulators, and the public.  The certification process
demonstrates that the certified individual met the educational, experience,
and performance standard set by his or her peer group.  Lack of
certification does not mean that an individual can't do the job; it only
means more effort may be required to determine if they can.

CHPs bring a demonstrated grasp of the theory and calculation skills
necessary to defend the adequacy of radiological controls.  Certification
should be encouraged and all health physicists should strive to achieve the
level of competence associated with certification.

No, I'm not a CHP, but after more that 25 years of inspecting Navy, NRC, and
DOE facilities, I believe it is impossible to deny the value added by the
process.

Greg Yuhas

The opinions expressed by this author are fully accepted by his employer,
G.P. Yuhas and Associates.