Medical Team Performs Historic Radioactive Seed Implant Procedure

Tuesday February 16, 3:51 pm Eastern Time

Company Press Release

SOURCE: Cancer Therapy & Research Center

Medical Team Performs Historic Radioactive Seed Implant
Procedure

SAN ANTONIO, Feb. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- A medical team
comprised of members of the Cancer Therapy & Research Center
(CTRC) and The University of Texas Health Science Center at San
Antonio (UTHSCSA) have performed the first ever CT Guided
brachytherapy treatment administered to a patient using a
stereotactic arm to deliver the seed implants. The minimally
invasive procedure involved implanting 19 radioactive seeds into the
tumor area of a patient with node involved ovarian cancer who had
previous full course therapy.

The stereotactic arm, called Pinpoint(TM), is part of a specially
designed CT oncology Venue(TM) Suite manufactured by
Picker International. It has been used for diagnostic work at other
locations, but the procedure performed at the CTRC on
Friday, February 12, with the Pinpoint stereotactic arm, was the
first time the unit was used by radiologists and radiation
oncologists for brachytherapy. According to James Hevezi, PhD,
CTRC Director of Medical Physics, ``The Pinpoint
technology is designed to improve CT guided brachytherapy and
give us instantaneous identification as to the best needle path
we want and it performed exactly as we expected. It did provide
target precision and served as a needle insertion guide,
allowing us to implant radioactive seeds directly into the tumor,
while at the same time avoiding the surrounding normal tissue.''

Other members of the team included radiation oncologist James
Marbach, MD, CTRC Medical Staff and professor at UTHSCSA,
Shailendra Chopra, MD, an interventional radiologist and professor
at UTHSCSA, and CTRC radiation therapists. The full procedure,
after the patient was scanned, allowed Drs. Hevezi and Chopra to
move the stereotactic arm's pointer along the patient's skin while
watching the computer update the 3D multiplanar reformation
(MPR) views to visualize the simulated needle path. As Dr. Chopra
inserted the needle, its advancement was correlated to the CT
image and viewed on a monitor located just above the procedure
table. The advancement of the needle was controlled and viewed by
Dr. Chopra from the time of the insertion to the actual dropping of
the seeds. ``We made history here today,'' said Dr. Hevezi.
``Although we have been doing brachytherapy for some time, with
Pinpoint we have taken the first step in revolutionizing the process
because now we have a new, innovative way of planning target
precision procedures to ensure the most successful treatment.''

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205

              - G. K. Chesterton -