Re: HP as a career & qualifications

Dear radsafers,

I have been following this thread for a few days now as have many others.
As has been pointed out, there are several issues that have been combined
here.  My two cents worth is as follows:

1) There is a distinct difference between HP and HP tech as a job
description goes, but I have seen those who excel in both areas.  I have
seen individuals with no degree or certification that have absolutely no
problem handling the calculations and regulatory research/interpretation
and other work that goes along  with being an HP.  I also know of degreed
HPs that thrive in the field, and could hold workshops for most of the HP
techs I know (and they would gladly attend).  Let's also not forget that
ABHP did not always require a degree for certification.

2)  Regardless of experience in the field, I feel that an individuals stock
can only increase by attending school and getting a degree (if possible).
If I am doing the hiring, and I have two EQUALLY capable/experienced
individuals, but one has a Health Physics (or similar) degree, or is
working towards one; I will hire the degreed individual every time.

3) A degree, certification, or progress towards either demonstrates
motivation and potential upward mobility for a potential employer.  These
qualifications are not merely an indicator of intellectual capability.

4) Economically speaking, I have seen situations where one capable group of
people will try to exclude another capable group of people from competing
for the same type of   work.  I have seen this done by entities ranging
from bargaining units, to nations.  Although I feel that ABSOLUTELY NO-ONE
who has responded to this thread is so motivated, I can not help but
reflect upon this concept when see some of the discussion regarding this
matter.

Once again, just my 2 cents worth.

Best regards,
Greg Landry

Note: All opinions are my own and are in no way sanctioned by Canberra
Industries or Packard Bioscience Corp.