Re: HP as a career & qualifications

In a message dated 2/17/99 5:01:07 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rkathren@tricity.WSU.edu writes:

<< Licensure and certification are, as are all human endeavors, imperfect
processes.  (So, I might add are civil service tests and qualifications!)
However, they are
 designed to protect the public and by and large they do so.>>

I absolutely agree.  I just don't want to forget that certification isn't the
be all, end all on the question of whether or not someone is "qualified" to
practice a profession...I know a couple of wonderful people, who have better
legal sense and knowledge than many licensed attorneys, but for whatever
reason (life, family, illness) they have not
 completed a degree and taken the Bar...I have the utmost respect for them,
and I wish there were an alternative for them, based on their actual
experience and knowledge, which would allow them to practice law...I think the
same situation may occur in Health Physics if the job requirements become too
reliant on certification...

Barbara Hamrick
BLHamrick@aol.com

P.S.  Ron, thank you for your generous compliment....I hope to somehow combine
law and health physics someday, either by working as the legal representative
for an rad health agency or large corporation with radiation issues...

BH