Re: HP as a career & qualifications

RE:  Barb Hamricks observation.

>I don't mean to disparage those who are certified in any way, but in the same
>way that certification, state boards and bar exams don't necessarily weed out
>the bad, they often leave behind the good.

There is much truth in what you say, but should we simply allow anyone to
put up a shingle and practice law, medicine, chiropractic, engineering, or
even health physics?  After all, sooner or later (perhaps when they have
killed a number of folks) we'll be able to weed out the bad.  Licensure and
certification are, as are all human endeavors, imperfect processes.  (So, I
might add are civil service tests and qualifications!)  However, they are
designed to protect the public and by and large they do so.  Perhaps we
should license or cerify politicians -- we just might get better
representation.  BTW, in many states, sheriffs have to be qualified law
enforcement officers, judges have to be lawyers, health officers have to be
physicians etc.

NONE OF THE FOREGOING IS MEANT TO IMPLY IN ANY WAY THAT A PERSON WHO IS NOT
ABHP CERTIFIED MAY NOT BE A COMPETENT HP.

Ron Kathren

PS  Barb -- Good luck on your Bar exam.  On the other hand, if you leave our
profession, our ranks will have one less well qualified and competent HP.

RK