Hanford Thyroid Study Faulted

I posted the following item in my news distribution last night. It is of
general importance, and am posting it to Radsafe as well .. in that
it refutes the most recent study at Hanford.

Hanford Thyroid Study Faulted

SPOKANE, Wash., Feb. 15 (UPI) -- A recent study suggesting
that high  rates of thyroid disease near Washington state's Hanford
nuclear reservation are not linked to radiation releases from the
facility is being widely criticized. 	The critics of the U.S. Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention  study include nationally known
scientists, who say CDC officials exaggerated negative findings
and buried contradictory data. The Spokane Spokesman Review
reports today that, though he stands by  his science, even the
chief researcher on the study admits its release was bungled.
Dr. Scott Davis, an epidemiologist with the Fred Hutchinson
Cancer  Research Center in Seattle, told the newspaper, ``I
couldn't agree more that we should have waited.'' 	Critics say the
CDC jumped the gun by holding a public meeting to  release
findings that were only preliminary. CDC officials said the decision
to release the draft was made to  respond to public pressure from
so-called ``downwinder'' communities near the plant, most of which
report high levels of thyroid disease. ``We didn't want to release it
in someone else's public meeting,''  said Dr. Paul Garbe, director of
epidemiology in the CDC's radiation studies branch. The 10-year
study concluded that 3,441 people born close to Hanford  from
1940 to 1946 had no more thyroid disease than people living in
eastern Washington communities slightly farther away. But the
study has been shown to have a plethora of problems, ranging
from mathematical uncertainties to errors in radiation doses to
study subjects. ``The researchers clearly went over the line when
they told people  they'd found no connection between Hanford's
Cold War radiation releases of Iodine-131 and thyroid disease'' said
Tim Connor, chairman of a CDC advisory committee on nuclear-
related health studies, told the newspaper. The CDC says it may
schedule more community meetings to discuss the study. A final
report is due by the end of the year.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205