Ethics vs. Safety

Mark Hanlon has raised an interesting ethical question, which I myself have
pondered at considerable length, even to the extent of presenting a paper in
1996 at the IRPA meeting in Vienna entitled:  Human Radiation
Experimentation:  A Health Physics Perspective   which briefly considers a
problem such as posed by Mark.  (If you do not have a copy of the IRPA
Proceedings and wish a reprint of the paper, please let me know by return
e-mail and I'll send one out.)  The basic conclusion was that we as HP's
have a professional as well as a personal obligation to ensure that
humanitarian requirements, including fully informed and willing subjects,
are met, and moreover we must be [personally] convinced that the real or
potential benefits outweigh the potential detriment and risk.  The various
parameters that we might use to develop our conclusion will differ from
person to person, as might the final conclusion; clearly much more than LNT
or risk considerations enter into the equation, including many
unquantifiable and intangible parameters.

Ron Kathren