Treatment of Contaminated Personnel

Hi Jim, RadSafer's -

Funny you should mention that. At our latest ERT training this same issue
arose. I haven't figured it out yet so I'd be very interested in any
response your get. I was thinking of meeting with the local ambulance
company, a hospital er representative and a member of the hospital nuclear
medicine staff (hopefully to support my views) to discuss the issue.

I am of the opinion that from our University radiation activities here that
no person could have on them a significant degree of contamination as to
present a hazard to a first responder / EMT.  The responding personnel will
all be following body substance isolation (BSI) protocols which are
excellent in addressing contamination control.

As I think it stands now is that the ambulance company relies on the
incident commander to declare if the person is de-coned or not. If the IC
says yea - they transport, if the IC says no - they don't.

If we take the  the "minor" injury case (e.g. laceration to the leg)
combined with radioactive contamination (e.g. 100 uCi of P-32) - It's not
unreasonable to ask the responder to wash the contaminated area with water
(and may be soap) for a few minutes -AFTER first aid has been rendered and
their is no reason for a rapid transport (Code 2 in EMT lingo). This would
be in the interest of ALARA for the patient.

If we were to take a "serious" medical situation - (e.g. unconscious
person, heart attack) requiring a rapid transport (code 3) - any delay due
in transport from attempts at decontamination are definitely NOT in the
interest of the patient. ER personnel are trained (and rightfully so) never
to put themselves in danger for the patients sake. My argument here is that
the contamination (in this example 100 uCi of P-32) would not jeopardize
the safety of the responding personnel, nor the er staff at the hospital.

I'm sure there would be some details to be worked out -spread of
contamination for the clothes, minor contamination of the ambulance etc.
But the goal would be to provide the best medical care for the patient and
not to have a "perceived" but false risk stop this care.

Everyone please fell free to comment - I too would like to know what others
are doing in this area.

Ken