Re: Treatment of Contaminated Personnel

While working at a research reactor facility that was being
decommisioned, we ran into the same problems.  Even though we
had a good relationship with the emergency services personnel,
they still perceived the risk to radiation was too much for them to
overcome.  Our company needed to train us in emergency
response as well as one of us as an EMT.  We would package the
patient in the rad area, and then survey the exterior of the patient as
best we could.  The hospital had a set up for a hazmat room and we
would work with the nurses and doctors until we were able to survey
the patients entire body and decon as neccessary.  Afterwards, we
would survey and decon the room, equipment and ambulance.  Even
the injuries that occured in the hottest areas on site were handled
the same way.

I found that if the HP/First Responder kept their cool, then everyone
else would follow suit.