Pb/Al Boxes for Electronics Testing

Hi all,

I've another of my really odd questions to ask.  Anyone out there in parts
testing land have a good source for making the lead/aluminum boxes to meet
MIL-STD-1019.5 for Co-60 TID testing of electronics?

Explanation for those that just said, "Huh?":  For flight qual, the parts
need to be shielded from the low energy backscatter to avoid messy dose
enhancement problems.  This is achieved by putting a thin layer of lead
over a thin aluminum box (that meets the above MIL-STD) and placing your
bias board inside to nuke it.  I can build these, but the boss (at least
right now) doesn't want me to mess with the lead.

As always, thanks!

Scott Kniffin

RSO Unisys Federal Systems, Lanham, MD
CHO Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA
mailto:Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov

The opinions expressed here are my own. They do not necessarily represent
the views of Unisys or NASA.  This material has not been reviewed by my
manager or NASA.