Re: Early radiologic practices

Therapeutic radiation was used for "whatever ails you"
until the 50s or thereabouts.  When I was a teenager my
face was irradiated for acne and my scalp for dandruff--by
a dermatologist who was highly regarded.  At least it
was low energy x ray.  Such was standard practice.
Needless to say, I am keeping a close watch.

The publications about followup studies in individuals
that got thymic irradiation as newborns were authored by
Louis Hempelmann of the University of Rochester.  A search
by author with the name misspelled is not likely to work.
I think his last paper on this subject was in Radiation
Research ca 1985.  He also wrote on followups in women
after breast irradiation for postpartum mastitis.

S. Julian Gibbs, DDS, PhD               Voice: 615-322-3190
Professor of Radiology                    FAX: 615-322-3764
Dept. of Radiology & Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Nashville TN 37232-2670 Email:s.julian.gibbs@vanderbilt.edu