RE: Americum [sic] check source offered for sale on eBay online a

It is my understanding that ANYONE or ANY COMPANY may OWN radioactive
materials and should be able to sell them to anyone or any company who has
a license to possess them.  It this not true?

At 09:00 AM 3/6/99 -0600, you wrote:
>I also find this strange.  10 CFR states ? 31.8 Americium-241 in the form of
>calibration or reference sources.(a) A general license is hereby issued to
>those persons listed below to own, receive, acquire, possess, use and
>transfer, in accordance with the provisions of paragraphs (b) and (c) of
>this section, americium-241 in the form of calibration or reference sources:
>(1) Any person in a non-Agreement State who holds a specific license issued
>pursuant to this chapter which authorizes him to receive, possess, use and
>transfer byproduct material, source material, or special nuclear material;
>and (2) Any Government agency, as defined in ? 30.4(g) of this chapter,
>which holds a specific license issued pursuant to this chapter which
>authorizes it to receive, possess, use and transfer by-product material,
>source material, or special nuclear material.
>
>There is no exempt quantity listed for Am-241.  We were seeking to use an
>Am-241 source on a remediation site, and asked for interpretation of the
>above and this was the call:  a general license will only be issued if those
>persons hold a specific license.
>
>The person selling this does not know what they are doing.  10 CFR also has
>some labeling and transfer requirements in this section.  If the seller
>ships this he must also comply with 49 CFR.
>
>Who has the authority to do something/inform the seller of the laws
>
>Hans Honerlah
>USACE, Baltimore
>HTRW Branch
>
>Standard Disclaimers (bla,bla, yak,yak)

Tad  Blanchard            /__ \ /___\   NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center
Parallax, Inc                  O         Code 205.9, Greenbelt, MD 20771
Sr Health Physics Tech        / \                    Phone: 301-286-9157
Assistant RSO                /___\                   Fax:   301-286-1618
        primary -> mailto:Tad.M.Blanchard.1@GSFC.NASA.gov
        alternate -> mailto:tmblanch@pop200.gsfc.nasa.gov
    http://gsfc-aphrodite.gsfc.nasa.gov/205/205-2/Health/RADPROT.HTM