Senate To Probe Lab's Security

Monday March 8 9:53 AM ET

Senate To Probe Lab's Security

WASHINGTON (AP) - Energy Secretary Bill Richardson today
pledged the administration's full cooperation with a Senate
committee's investigation into allegations that lax security in a
weapons laboratory allowed China to steal technology that
improved its nuclear weapons capability.

``We will not tolerate the theft of our secrets,'' Richardson said on
CNN.

Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Ala., chairman of the Intelligence
Committee, said Sunday that allegations of Chinese spying at New
Mexico's Los Alamos National Laboratory ``will certainly'' bring
more hearings.

The panel already is investigating commercial technology transfers
that Republican leaders contend could help the Chinese upgrade
their missile forces.

``We have been on top of this lax security for a number of years.
We've been pushing, we've been prodding the administration to do
more, to tighten up security,'' Shelby said on NBC's ``Meet the
Press.''

``I think they are beginning to, but ... they waited a long time,'' he
said.

Richardson said the administration was still assessing the extent
of the damage. But, he added, ``the message is clear. We have to
tighten security at all of these installations. That has happened.''

Edward Curran, director of counterintelligence at the Energy
Department, said in a statement it was unclear how much the
Chinese weapons programs may have been helped by
unauthorized procurement of sensitive information.

``The Energy Department's national laboratories are the world's pre-
eminent national security research facilities,'' Curran said. ``They
have long been, and remain, attractive to foreign intelligence
services.''

The department, in charge of U.S. civilian and military nuclear
programs, said the administration has created a counterintelligence
office to combat espionage.

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said the incident involving China could
have been expected.

``It doesn't surprise me at all that the Chinese are spying. You
know, that kind of thing is fairly routine,'' McCain said on ``Fox
News Sunday.''

``What is ... incredibly disturbing is apparently the administration
didn't take the charges seriously,'' he said. ``The Congress was not
informed.''

Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott predicted Shelby's committee
will be ``very aggressive'' in dealing with the administration and
suggested that uncooperative witnesses might be held in
contempt.

``I think Congress is going to have to toughen up in dealing with
this administration, particularly when it comes to China and the
violations that have occurred there,'' he said, also on Fox.

The New York Times and Newsweek magazine reported over the
weekend that China had obtained from U.S. nuclear laboratories
knowledge of America's top-secret W-88 miniaturized warhead.

Republicans contend the administration allows dangerous
transactions so as not to disturb always-touchy relations with one
of the largest U.S. trading partners.

Lott, R-Miss., said the case is ``just another example of where the
administration apparently is more interested in engagement (with
China) than they are what's happening in that engagement.''

``The administration continues to resist really getting into what
caused the problem and solving the problem,'' Lott said. ``China is
getting to be more and more of a problem, both in their human
rights conduct and the way we deal with it, but also a continuation
of their efforts to get technology improperly and then use it
improperly.''

Theft from U.S. nuclear labs will be the apparent focus of an
upcoming report from a second congressional committee,
Newsweek says in its March 15 edition, on newsstands today.

Rep. Christopher Cox, R-Calif., chairman of a special committee on
military and commercial deals with China, is releasing a 700-page
report as early as this month. In a preliminary study last month,
the committee reported China has aggressively been
pursuing U.S. military information for more than 20 years.