Re: Turkish Cobalt Source Incident

At 15:24 08.03.1999 -0600, you wrote:
>Several weeks ago there were some postings on RADSAFE about an incident
>involving a cobalt source in a salvage yard and resultant sickness and
>injuries.  Does anyone have any further details on what the outcome was.
>Fatalities?  Recovery?  I plan to use this in source control training as an
>example of what can happen when sources are not properly controlled.

Harry,

I think I posted an appropriate comment some time ago. Everybody is afraid
of possible damages, possible loss of life and all kind of desaster
scenarios from nuclear power. But when a real accident happens, where lifes
may be lost (Goiana, Estonia, Mexico, Israel, etc. etc!) this is not of
interest for our mass media. Can anybody explain this? And does anybody
really know, what happened in Turkey? I heard rumors that there was a kind
of ad hoc meeting at the IAEA, but living in Vienna does not necessarily
mean that I know everything which is going on in the IAEA.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schönhofer
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Department of Radiochemistry
Kinderspitalg. 15
A-1095 Vienna
Austria