Re: Alec Baldwin & the Tooth Fairy

According to one article on statistics, correlations etc I have (can
give exact ref. later if anyone is interested) one third of the
population of the State of New York lives within one mile from at least
one "waste dump". Living close to these waste dumps was correlated with
stillbirths and malformations. The kind of waste dumps as well as their
numbers were taken into account and there were associations/correlations
with the named medical problems. But anyone reflecting over this asks -
but who lives there - and what are these people's life styles as
compared with the rest of the population?

I imagine that the tooth project should produce a lot of "correlations"
with various disease patterns depending on ones interests and points of
view (Popper's formulation if I remember right). In the aftermath, time
periods as well as geographical areas can be chosen in a creative way to
produce selling clusters to the sensational media. This form of
statistics is usually fruitful because you first get the answers and
then choose the hypothesis.

bjorn_cedervall@hotmail.com
Depts. Medical Radiation Biology & Medical Radiation Physics,
Karolinska Institutet, Box 260, S-171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Fax: Int + 468 343525 (Med. Radiation Physics)
Website: http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/Exchange/8256/
Any opinions expressed above are those of mine and may not necessarily
coincide with those of others.