Toothy Fairy

Eric Daxon said:

     "I have been following this discussion and would like to make one
     point.  It is important for us to answer these issues as best as we
     can because silence usually implies agreement.  I would encourage
     folks in the affected area to take the time to write a balanced letter
     to the editor of the local newspapers to bring science to the issue."

Rest assured that letter writing is taking place on this issue. Though, I
have to point out that there have been similar volleys of "letters to the
editor" on this issue before; baby tooth collection was first proposed in
this area by Ernie Sternglass' disciple, Jay Gould, two years ago.  While
small local papers carried our responses, it was difficult to assess whether
we were reaching anyone.   On the bright side, the tooth collection project
didn't seem to be reaching anyone anyway.  Perhaps we were only speaking to
each other then.  Since that time, however, Mr. Baldwin has thrown his
celebrity power behind the project.  Now, instead of one obscure individual
raising the nuclear cancer spectre, we have a star whose name gets it
national attention in Newsweek.

Gary Schroeder
Environmental Services Division
Brookhaven National Laboratory