Re: Toothy Fairy

My wife told me that he (Baldwin) also appeared on the Montel Williams show
(I think last year sometime).  Talk about a forum that lacks a balanced
opinion.  One word of caution when countering these arguments, do not
forget that these statistics (ill analyzed though they are) do represent
actual people who have undergone suffering.  Many times the alleged
"offender" appears callous or unconcerned when they lash back at the
accuser.  Just my $.02 worth.

>Eric Daxon said:
>
>     "I have been following this discussion and would like to make one
>     point.  It is important for us to answer these issues as best as we
>     can because silence usually implies agreement.  I would encourage
>     folks in the affected area to take the time to write a balanced letter
>     to the editor of the local newspapers to bring science to the issue."
>
>Rest assured that letter writing is taking place on this issue. Though, I
>have to point out that there have been similar volleys of "letters to the
>editor" on this issue before; baby tooth collection was first proposed in
>this area by Ernie Sternglass' disciple, Jay Gould, two years ago.  While
>small local papers carried our responses, it was difficult to assess whether
>we were reaching anyone.   On the bright side, the tooth collection project
>didn't seem to be reaching anyone anyway.  Perhaps we were only speaking to
>each other then.  Since that time, however, Mr. Baldwin has thrown his
>celebrity power behind the project.  Now, instead of one obscure individual
>raising the nuclear cancer spectre, we have a star whose name gets it
>national attention in Newsweek.
>

>Gary Schroeder
>Environmental Services Division
>Brookhaven National Laboratory
>schroede@bnl.gov

| | | |__  Physics Safety Support Officer
| | \___/  Lawrence Livermore National Labs
| \___/    merritt9@llnl.gov
\___/      Voice: (925)423-9668   Fax: (925)422-7160
	   "When the only tool you have is a hammer,
	   every problem begins to resemble a nail."
	   -Abraham Maslow