Storage period of unrinary bioassay sample

        Regarding urine sample storage, I heard the following story while a
medical student at McGill.

        In the 1950's, when Prof. Hans Selye was at the University of
Montreal analyzing urinary specimens for cortocosteroids, he received a
written notice that samples sent from the US were being held for him by the
Canadian customs. Unfortunately, by the time he received the note, the
samples were already over 2 weeks old, so he replied that they were of no
use and should be disposed of.

        About 6 months later came another notice saying that the samples
were still being held for him, and if he did not claim them immediately,
they would be auctioned off to the nearest bidder.

                                Mike Quastel