Re[2]: FW: IH- Propylene

Eric Cowdrey wrote:

> This looks like a job for RADSAFE.

As I understand the process; depending on the geologic zone from where
they produce natural gas, radon is present at varying concentrations. If
the natural gas is held prior to processing for a significant lenght of
time, most of the radon present will decay into it's particulate
daughters. If the natural gas is not stored prior to processing and has
been produced from a gas field with a high radon concentration, then as
they process the gas the radon "cooks off" at about the same temperature
as propane.
It is from the propane that I believe they produce the propylene.
This is how the radon daughters can find their way into propylene
products.
You can also find similar radon daughter contaminations in propane
tanks. Again, the level of radon daughters plated out to the inside of
propane tanks depends on the time the natuaral gas and propane was
allowed to be stored.
At least that is how I understand it. I am not a chemist.

C. Gallagher
Gammat@swbell.net