RE: Determining activity of odd shaped parts

Clarification:

I should have expressed this as a two part question.

First, I need to come up with geometry corrections for odd part shapes being analyzed by gamma spectroscopy (HPGe). Small parts can be counted in a typical fixed system with a shielded cave. Larger parts could be counted with a portable HPGe. Beyond that, we don't have a lot of specialized equipment. Just the usual collection of portable contamination detectors and dose rate meters.

Second, our organization is trying to define the best method for us to determine the activity of parts activated by exposure to our accelerators. We are looking for suggestions from others.

Rick Edwards, Analyst
The Boeing Company
richard.w.edwards@boeing.com