RE: Determining activity of odd shaped parts

Couple of thoughts...

I believe NUREG-1608 for LSA/SCO would call your collection of small
activated materials such as yours LSA unless the materials are less than 2
nCi/g.  If the material is less than 2 nCi/g, then assess the contamination
levels on the material itself as SCO.  The NUREG is the best clarification
available.  Read it closely and I'm sure you'll have a few follow-up
questions to bounce off of other experienced shippers.

As far as actually characterizing the material, you can obtain a code for
money or perform hand calcs.  I believe some who came before me performed
hand calcs under the guidelines of an Edison Electric Institute document,
September 1978.

Put your small items in a good geometry such as a 55 gallon drum and record
exposure rates of the package for the dose-to-curie calculation.

For a total package, I would spend a little money for an industry standard
code package called, "Radman" by WMG (914-736-7100).  The program is well
accepted and essentially the industry standard in the power plant arena.

Is there a concern that your circuit boards contain any non-radiological
hazards which may complicate disposal?

Sincerely,
Glen Vickers
glen.vickers@ucm.com